Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sabbath: A Timely Reminder

As I have found myself swirling in the change vortex that is starting to take place in our church life, I have concurrently been reminded of the need to rest, pull over, and park on a regular basis...just to BE with God in the middle of all this DOING.  Here's part of an entry from one of my daily devotional guides that I found particularly profound and life-giving.  It's about the Sabbath.  In the midst of all the things that I feel need to be done to align with God's will for my life and the life of the church, I cannot neglect the practice of a personal Sabbath.  As we raise the level of ministry activity in our church, we also need to be cultivating a deep intimacy with God that will allow us to sustain such activity over the long haul.  That's the challenge.  That's the command of John 15:5- "I am the vine, you are the branches.  If a man/woman remains in me and I in him/her, he/she will bear much fruit.  Apart from me you can do nothing."

Let the following be part of your devotional life going into Holy Week:

"Sabbath is not dependent on our readiness to stop.  We do not stop when we are finished.  We do not stop when we complete our phone calls, finish our project, get through this stack of messages, or get out this report that is due tomorrow.  We stop because it is time to stop.  

Sabbath requires surrender.  If we only stop when we are finished with all our work, we will never stop--because our work is never completely done.  With every accomplishment there arises a new responsibility.  If we refuse rest until we are finished, we will never rest until we die. Sabbath dissolves the artificial urgency of our days, because it liberates us from the need to be finished.  

We stop because there are forces larger than we that take care of the universe, and while our efforts are important, necessary, and useful, they are not (nor are we) indispensable.  The galaxy will somehow manage without us for this hour, this day, and so we are invited--nay, commanded--to relax, and enjoy our relative unimportance, our humble place at the table in a very large world.  

Do not be anxious about tomorrow, Jesus said again and again.  Let the work of this day be sufficient.  Sabbath says, be still. Stop.  There is no rush to get to the end, because we are never finished.
                            - Wayne Mueller

Question to Consider:  What is your greatest fear in stopping for a 24-hour period each week?

Prayer:  Lord, this idea will require a lot of change in the way I am living life.  Teach me, Lord how to take the next step with this in a way that fits my unique personality and situation.  Help me trust you with all that will remain unfinished and to enjoy my humble place in your very large world.  In Jesus' name, Amen.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my greatest fear to stop for 24 hrs each week is that I might fall behind or forget something that is supposed to get done by a certain deadline.
Your right ya know, sometimes we have to be reminded to slow down
thanks for the reminder

Anonymous said...

I have thinking about stopping for 24hrs or even 48hrs (a retreat) but it's those little things that keeps me from doing this. Praying for when to take time out..

ken Bringas said...

i think you're both describing something that we all experience. Thanks for your thoughts. Sometimes practicing Sabbath really takes some thoughtful and intentional planning. it's tough, but don't give up, the rewards are tremendous. I still struggle with it, but have also experienced its benefits.

Derrick Engoy said...

My fear...not being able to restart my engine. In the same breath, I don't think I really know how to slow down anymore. I've been on the move for so long that when I finally take a break, my mind is still dreaming up possibilities for my return. And I think that's why my alone times with God lately have been stale. I'm thinking more about the work I can do for Him, rather than resting in His presence.

Let's hope and pray that my upcoming vacation will spark a lifestyle of meaningful Sabbaths.

ricardo bernal said...

After taking a whole week off from all my practical daily spiritual applications, I learned that is OK to take time to gather, regroup, refreash our thoughts. Not in a way how stubborn I did it.

It's a struggle for me when God says to not worry about anything when everything seems unfavorable in my life.

It is total surrender to him as you mention.

It's amazing how big God is, His unfailing Love always shows up in the nick of time and uses so many people to remind us how much he cares for us. Even when we don't deserve His grace and mercies!

I don't suggest everyone take a whole week off away from having intimacy with God but yes, let's give Him the glory and honor he deserves. Even when we don't feel like.

Do I make sense? Anyways that's what's in my heart.

Pray for me brothers.

Peace!