Monday, March 2, 2009

Idea Camp

I thought I'd take a moment and collect my thoughts on the recent "unconference" I attended last week called Idea Camp.  First of all, I didn't attend the whole thing, but felt like I was a part of it even though I wasn't physically there.  They created a very strong online presence before, during, and after the event, so you didn't really feel like the focus was the event itself, but rather the people you were able to connect with online and off.  I think it's a foreshadowing of the future of leadership conferences.

anyway, as far as the workshops I did get to participate in, I went to Dave Gibbons session on "Leadership and Discipleship in an Offline and Online Setting", and Scott Hodge's session on "Transitioning Churches from Traditional to Missional".  Both were great sessions because the first one helped me to embrace the realities of online culture, and how the church should be engaging people through such media.  There was a guy from Google who sat in on that session, and one startling fact he stated from the research that Google has done on the young generation was that the younger generation no longer makes a distinction between their offline and online identity.  They live in both worlds quite comfortably, weaving in and out of those worlds quite seamlessly.  That thought caused me to rethink the importance of online social networking tools as a way to engage the culture outside the four walls of the "church".  

The other starling fact he stated was that Facebook is just about to tip the scale and outpace MySpace as the conventional online communication tool for the masses.  That's not exactly what he said, it's my interpretation.  What it means for the missional church is basically that there really is no reason why we shouldn't be using these tools as basic way for us to connect people in our congregation with each other and with those on the fringes of the church.  In other words, what was once an unconventional way of communicating has now become the new convention.  No one questions this anymore, and if they do, they probably still have a dial-up connection.

Another interesting trend: the younger generation no longer use Google so search the web.  They are going first to YouTube. They prefer more of a LIVE experience.  And apparently, "LIVE" video streaming scratches that itch.  What it means for the church in terms of engaging culture?  Aside from the obvious (putting your services on live webcast or video streaming), the church needs to consider how to integrate the LIVE online format into its mission to equip believers, develop leaders and disciples, and converse with seekers (i.e. classes, instructional videos, small group teaching segments, ministry skills training, focus groups, etc.).

As a pastor with a missiologist heart, these things intrigue me and get my creative juices flowing as to how our church needs to cultivate its online presence.  And if indeed online and offline realities are more seamless than we think, perhaps creating a strong online presence can help reshape the culture of the church in general, moving it toward the fringes with the unchurched and over-churched live.  
    
That's all for now...i'll talk about my experience in the Church Transitions workshop in another entry.  
    

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I find the whole conversation of online + church very fascinating. The key to using the web effectively, is not the same as it is for business. For business the web can be an effective replacement for certain key business functions - but for ministry it can't replace authentic human relationship.

That is the rub, we are living in a world that has created isolated individuals and we have to figure out a way as The Church in general to use the web as an effective tool to drive people back to authentic relationship.

I love a challenge!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your perspective, bro. I think one way of bridging that gap is to use online identity and presence to tell the stories of our faith journey (of individual, family, and organization).

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Nate, regarding the downside to online conversations. It, on many levels, creates a sense of inauthenticity in our relationships.

However, even without the internet in our lives, it still feels like there's a lot of inauthentic relationships in the body of Christ as it is. Face-to-face conversations after a church service sometimes feel sterile. It's as if we're obligated to say our "hello's" just so we don't offend someone.

The upside to online conversations is that people find a sense of openness communicating within such environments. I don't know why, but it seems to be true in most cases.

With that said, maybe we can use Twitter/Facebook/Myspace/Texting as a means to invite people into deeper conversations. Perhaps we can throw out ideas to get the brain moving on these online forums and encourage conversations to continue face-to-face.

For instance, I Twitter/Text/Facebook the statement, "Derrick Engoy is wondering about the dilemma that is Sexting." People, then, respond to my update status. At the same time, people can begin to formulate thoughts about the issue. Then, I can later update my status, "Derrick Engoy would love to hear more of your thoughts on Sexting. Join me at (re)live."

Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

i like the idea of online tools being used to invite others into a deeper conversation. I also understand the limits and dangers of communicating without context. And while you can definitely bring some context to an onilne relationship, it takes more time and in some ways goes against the feature of online tools (which is to communicate more efficiently). Nonetheless, I do think we need a build a model of discipleship and leadership development for the future that makes good use of both worlds.

great thoughts, guys! Any others?

KJ said...

About a year or so ago I had started an online group discussion called EVAEW "Everyone's Views Accepted Enhancing Worth" It had started with me and a few friends but later grew to people I had never even met in person. And although we didn't all have the same views on everything I ended up meeting three new people in person because of the group. So although my relationship started online I was able to build a "face to face" relationship as well.
So I personally think that we as Followers of Christ should take advantage of this tool because we can literally preach to the world without leaving our seat. But I do agree that a "face to face" relationship is much stronger and more meaningful than an online one.

Unknown said...

Love this string of conversation. They key to remember is that with any other tool or platform for communication, there MUST be an end game in mind. This goes across genre as well. If you are going to do a blog - have a purpose (like this one).

If you are going to use the web as a form of communication to expand community - there has to be a clear purpose to it. What Derrick and KJ are suggesting is great - there is an endgame to their communication.

I am excited to see how this forms for New Life in the near future.